Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Butterfly Gatefold - Stampin' Up! Watercolor Wings

 Whew!  I've finally had a few moments to catch my breath after taking the boys to Pennsylvania to visit my in laws for a few days.  We stopped at Hershey on the way home to take in some of the chocolate fun too.  We had 4 FULL days of activities between the 2 stops and then the day after we arrived back home my cousin and her family stopped to visit overnight on their way down to Myrtle Beach.  It's been non-stop at the Mertz house for sure.

While we didn't buy these giant chocolate bars the boys did get their fill of chocolate at Hershey!  They were quiet the whole car ride home eating through their souvenirs!

  To add to it all,  the night before we left for Pennsylvania I had my monthly stamp club.  It was fun getting together with my stampers to use some more new products from the Stampin' Up! 2015-2016 Annual catalog but it made for a busy week!

  We made this card using the new Watercolor Wings stamp set and coordinating Bold Butterfly framelits.

 

  I sometimes don't take the time to design fun fold cards but the gatefold style is so easy I really should use it more often!  All you need to do is score your card base at 2 1/8" and 6 3/8" and there you have a gatefold!

  I stamped the butterfly using Watermelon Wonder and Lost Lagoon.  The first layer of Watermelon Wonder is stamped off once for a lighter look, then the next more detailed layer is full strength Watermelon Wonder.  The final detail is stamped using Lost Lagoon.

  The thing that I discovered when using the stamp set and framelits together is to stamp the wing layers first, then cut it out with the framelit and then add the stamped butterfly body.  My first few attempts to cut it out with the body already stamped I kept cutting off either the top or bottom.  No one needs to see a mangled insect body!  It's much easier to stamp the body once you have the butterfly outline to guide you.

  The two folds have strips of Whisper White cardstock embossed with the new Fluttering embossing folder.



  The final details for the card are the silver accents.  Using the Tombow Multi glue I glued some silver sequins to each flap.  If that small tip still isn't fine enough for you'll have to check out the extra fine tip glue that is coming out in the Holiday catalog soon...it should be perfect for these sequins an other intricate pieces!  Also, using a few dimensionals I looped a bit of new silver Metallic Thread behind where the butterfly goes across the card front.  It's hard to see in the photo but it adds a nice subtle detail.  I used the same dimensionals to adhere the butterfly.  Remember, to be able to have the flaps open you only need to attach the butterfly to one side!

  It's a lazy day here at home today checking things off the to do lists!  I hope to get some stamping and photographing in later as well so at least I'll have stuff ready to share if I get a few moments to blog!  

  Thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?

 Stamps: Watercolor Wings

Ink: Watermelon Wonder, Lost Lagoon

Paper: Lost Lagoon, Whisper White

Accessories: Fluttering e.f., Bold Butterfly framelits, silver sequins, silver Metallic thread, dimensionals

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!