Saturday, May 15, 2010

Elegant Eggplant Congrats

I made the below congratulations card for a friend of ours who recently completed an advanced degree and invited us to a party to celebrate.  Unfortunately we weren't able to attend but I wanted to send a card to congratulate her on the achievement.  I was inspired by the invitation and wanted to use the same colors and design for my card.  I covered up the details with my stamped envelope (you can't send a naked envelope!!) but here is the invite...

The colors were almost a perfect match for Elegant Eggplant, Green Galore and More Mustard.  It's funny how I would never ever have put these colors together but seeing them on the party invitation I thought they looked great together.  I might try this combination out on some other cards to see what I can come up with.

For my card I stamped the large design from the Baroque Motifs set in white craft ink and embossed it with white embossing powder.  I definitely had to use my Stamp-a-ma-jig to get it lined up just right.

And I obviously wasn't very thorough with my Embossing Buddy because you can see little white flecks of embossing powder that went astray from the sentiment and from the top image. Lesson learned-- rub harder!

Next I punched out a Whisper White circle with my 11/4" circle punch.  I stamped the flower-like stamped in Elegant Eggplant ink on Whisper White and punched that out with my 1" circle punch.  I colored in parts of the design with my Green Galore & More Mustard markers.  I layered my circles and then finished them off with a green jeweled brad for the center and popped it up over the embossed image.

An organdy ribbon bow, ticket corner punch & More Mustard brads finishes it off.  Let me know how you think I did matching the style of the invitation!

***It was super hard photographing Elegant Eggplant and I played around with the placement of my lights and this was the best I could do.  There always seemed to be some amount of glare no matter where I placed the lights.  If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them. 

Stamps: Baroque Motifs, Well Scripted

Ink: White craft, Elegant Eggplant

Paper: Whisper White, Elegant Eggplant

Accessories: brads, jeweled brad, ticket corner punch, 11/4" & 1" circle punch, embossing powder, organdy ribbon

5 comments:

  1. Your card came out beautifully and such a great match to the invitation! Congrats to your friend on her new degree! Have a great day!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great job on matching the invitation! I love all the layers of details that you added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! I absolutely love the color combo -- I can see why the original invitation inspired you. You did an impressive job of bringing together the best elements from the original and then making them your own.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!